Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Missing the Game

Hello Everyone. My name is Rick, and I am a D&D geek. I've been clean and game free for 8 months. AND I HATE EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!!!!!
LOL
A big part of our D&D group (2 of 6 players)has gone and gotten themselves pregnant! I know, I know, only the woman can get pregnant, not the man....or so you believe if you DON'T have a wife that is pregnant! So, that being said, this is baby number 2 for them, and the impact on the game has been critical. When you add to it $4.00 a gallon gas, and the fact that it is 65 miles to my house, travel with 2 babies ain't an attractive proposition!
We've had another player who showed up for a couple games, but now seems to always have something come up that prevents him from coming. Almost to the point of giving up on him.
My dw has been in particularly bad shape for the last few months, so she hasn't been up to sitting around the game table either. That leaves me, and 2 players, my kids. And I think they wouldn't particularly want to sit down 1-on-1 with the old man and play D&D without the others there to round out the party.

This is a hobby I picked up in about 1977, in junior high school. The first D&D book I ever owned was the blue covered one. And, I bought that on the way to Reno for a family vacation. I remember playing D&D with my brothers in the back of the camper as we traveled down the freeway headed for Nevada. The hot weather, the thrill of the dice, making up the adventure as we went along (I was too poor at the age of 11 to afford pre-printed adventures!) being so desperate to play at one point, that we actually wrote numbers on slips of paper and put them in a bowl, because we had misplaced the dice! ROFL
I remember my "Masterpiece Dungeon", when I was 13...scantily clad female elf prisoner, chained to the wall, as she pleads with the adventurers to release her! "Please, my name is Tarerew Neeuq, and I have been imprisoned here by the evil minions of the Rat Queen. Save me!" (For those of you following along at home, read that name backwards) my first TPK ever! They never knew what hit them!I've come a long way since those days, but I still occasionally resort to the party meeting up with each other in an inn! (Hey, why mess with a classic!) 31 years of D&D....who would have ever believed that it would be an interest that would last that long? Certainly not I and my friends. The game has come a very long ways since that first set of books published by Tactical Studies Rules (TSR) way the hell back in like 1973.
So, here I sit at work, jonesing for my game to get back on track....soon I hope, or maybe I will have to start a side game... (shhhh! don't tell anyone I'm thinking about cheating on my players! hehehe)

Bye for now!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Build the game and they will come *grin*

Unknown said...

Oh and BTW hon, ILTG!